Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thoughts on Inquiry Based Learning (Week 4)

So this week I flexed my questioning abilities. I've always enjoyed stimulating classroom discussions, and discovering that asking the right questions can make discussions flow easily. Sometimes teachers/students get frustrated in the classroom because questions are not being asked or worded so that intentioned discussions are taking place. I find this discussion/questioning challenge to be an enjoyable one. I always love to question my students, and pose similar questions differently for much different responses.

So this week classified questions into two groups, investigable and non investigable. This classification helps drive discussion, investigation, and instruction. Understanding these question types is so helpful in the classroom. I've learned that this week. I've also learned that I've always used various question types. Now I know how these questions are beneficial, and why I should continue to question even more.

So, how does a teacher best implement investigable questions? Is it best to plan lesson revolving around such questioning, or plan your lessons but incorporate the various question types into the lesson. Should lesson be developed for the sole purpose of inquiry, or do I include some type of inquiry in any/all lessons? Is there a "best" way to go about inquiry?

1 comment:

  1. I think back to the physics teacher we watched. Think about how he used his questioning. He really did both. He used investigable questions to strucutre his lesson around when doing the investigation. But if you watched how he interacted with students when they were stuck he also used investigable questions to get them "unstuck". This all lead to the non-investigable question, how does the human eye work.

    ReplyDelete