Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thoughts on Inquiry Based Learning (Week 3)

So, this week I watched the video and thought, "Hey, I do that!" The instructor in the college prep physics class was using a form of the KWL chart my students know, and LOVE. They absolutely love telling me what they know, about topics, and you know what? They know A LOT! They don't hold back when it comes to what they think the know. And the beauty of the KWL is that they NEVER stop asking questions about what they want to know. Inquiry is taking place in my classroom frequently. However, we don't always get to answer all of the questions that my students come up with, and this is where I feel I could do more when to help my students.

When we gather knowledge in kindergarten it's typically through a story, a short video via Discovery Streaming, or getting our hands dirty doing something. Since my students read and write independently much later in the year, we share a lot with whole group/small group with much of the information coming from me. So one question I have is: Is discussion enough with this age, or does there need to be some type of product? A drawing, simple statement, photo, or demonstration...

This week I learned that my students need to ask the questions. I need to question them, and then they can find the answer with some help.

1 comment:

  1. Is discussion enough with this age, or does there need to be some type of product? A drawing, simple statement, photo, or demonstration...
    * It can be, it really depends upon the content. Later in the course we are going to looking at developing scientific explanations (scientific meaning explanations that require evidence to support the explanation), where students describe their understanding of the content. For this age drawing pictures works best

    ReplyDelete